Sunday 31 July 2011

Churros!

If you read my blog you will have noticed that I don't usually post the recipes that I am blogging about. Basically because I'm not sure its legal to post someone else's recipe...

This one however is different (I think?) as I found it online :D

If you would like to read the original recipe you can find it here!

So, churros!

This time last year I had no idea what a churro was. So for those of you out there like me, a churro is basically a form of doughnut that originated in Spain... If you want to find out more here's a link :)

In October last year we were lucky enough to visit Florida. While we were there, the Epcot centre was hosting its annual International Food & Wine Festival (great, but VERY expensive!!!). One of the dishes that we chose to try was, yes you guessed it - churros

Shoshone enjoying the "One where it all began!"

After that initial taste we noticed the things on sale in many places... And yes, we did divulge on more than one occasion! :9

For Christmas Mom and Dad bought me the Jamie's America cookbook and in it was a recipe for CHURROS! :o

Obviously I tried it, but although they were good, they weren't as good as the one's we'd had in Florida.

The other week the churro cravings hit and I decided it was time to do some research. After reading MANY recipes, and watching numerous YouTube vids, I finally decided to give this recipe a try:


Ingredients

  • 1 cup water
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 quarts oil for frying
  • 1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball.
  2. Heat oil for frying in deep-fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry bag. Fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
  3. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon and sugar mixture.

The recipe stated that this made 4 servings... naturally that meant I had to double the recipe :D


After reading the comments on the recipe I decided to reduce the amount of sugar in the dough, basically I just doubled everything else except for the sugar and salt.

Simples! (*meerkat noise*  ...  sorry  ...  I'm tired!)

Not bad!
I need to get a different nozzle thing for my piping bag as mine were all too small. For these I just piped them out without a nozzle. They tasted great, but would look more authentic with a star shaped nozzle.

They tasted great dipped in melted chocolate! :9

Wahoooo! I did it... 7 posts in July! 

Do I hear 8 for August?



....



No, probably not! lol

1 comment:

  1. oooooo These look good :O Making my belly rumble a tad!

    Is that melted chocolate I seeeee :P mmmmmmm yummy! x

    ReplyDelete