Wednesday 27 July 2011

DS Dumplings :9

At the beginning of the month I set myself, and fellow blogger Courtney, the challenge of writing 7 posts in July. Courtney is doing a great job, only one more to go... I on the other hand am not doing so well :(

But, in to borrow a phrase from Johnny Smith, "There's still time!"

A few weeks ago I did a posted about the DS game Cooking Guide. Around the same time I was browsing the various recipes from various different countries. A couple of them caught my eye and I decided I really needed to try them. Only problem being I didn't have the necessary ingredients at hand. 

Fast forward a couple of weeks (and a shopping trip to the Chinese supermarket in Birmingham) and it was finally time to attempt one of the dumpling recipe's :D

I love dumplings!

I can't remember what the recipe is called on the DS game, and to be honest I can't be bothered to go look! But I'm pretty sure they are called potstickers. They can have various fillings; beef, chicken, fish, prawns, etc. these ones were made using pork mince. 

My freshly made dumpling skins... this part took a loooong time
I made a fairly huge mistake at this point... A consequence of not reading the whole recipe through! Basically, the recipe for the dumpling skins is separate to the recipe for the filling. And for some crazy reason the dumpling skin recipe is enough to make 24 skins, whereas the filling makes 48! As you can probably guess I therefore had 24 skins and 48 fillings...

Result, a second dumpling making session after the kids were in bed...

And a very late night dumpling eating session by Danny and me :D

The filling about to be wrapped
My first pitiful attempt at sealing the dumpling
The DS game shows a little video of how to fold the dumplings together. It looks soooo easy! After a while it does get easier, but I had to watch the video a few times to get the knack!

Later... A much better attempt!
I didn't realise until after I had started cooking, that you are actually supposed to sit them with the join at the top rather than lying on their sides like this... doh!

Wiyot helping to make the dipping sauce

Frying/steaming in the pan
Here you can see where I realised my earlier mistake!

All done and ready eat!
:9
They tasted amazing! Surprising since I had to make some substitutions to the ingredients. Danny was very impressed, said they were as good as the ones his aunts make! :)

Needless to say, I will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment